Monday 25 February 2013

Made in Jesmond





We have recently been working on designs for a shop called Made in Jesmond, which is in Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne. It sells vintage goods and items created by individuals using vintage or recycled materials.
As part of this module we also have to create a brand for the items we are producing.
I am using the name of this blog as my brand name and this is my logo.
I have found a company who will use my image and text to create two rubber craft stamps. I will use the stamps with coloured inks to make my garment tags and stamp gift bags too.
I chose to find my inspiration, and colour story from the 1950's. The trend I am using is Retro Botanicals, I always seem to fall back on the plants I love for my designs.
I also wanted to recycle or upcycle old fabrics and clothes which I can never bear to throw out. For a long time I have had strips of fabric wound into balls in our loft ready to make a hooky mat and thought it the ideal thing to make for Made in Jesmond, it sits with their ethos so nicely.
From my drawings of an Allium seed head I have created a design, and had to crack on with it quickly as we don't have much time. Hooky mats take forever to make. Here are some photographs of the progression.




We are much further on with it now but still a long way to go.
We had a meeting with Yve from Made in Jesmond and I got the impression she wasn't sure how the mat would go, and when quizzed she admitted that Tea cosies and Coffee pot covers were what she had been asked for. I have considered making lap top covers.
So I have been continuing my development and have created these applique designs today, just trying out some styles and techniques. By bed time though I intend to have a pot cover of some description made!







No comments:

Post a Comment